Thursday, September 9, 2010

I had promised some jalapenos and tomatoes to the CSA I am a part of, yesterday.  So after work, at dusk actually, I took my 2 and 6 year old with me to the farm to collect jalapenos and tomatoes.  I knew it was a crap-shoot taking them with me.  They could enjoy it.  More likely they would make my peaceful-nature-savoring-enjoyment-all-to-myself  time absolutely miserable.  Of course they did the latter.  But I had to take that gamble because now that I'm working  at my new job the kids don't see me all day and I'm a firm believer that children spell love: T-I-M-E.  I had actually had a horrible day at work but I didn't want to take it out on the kids because that's not fair to them, so we sang songs on the way up.  We sang the old Sunday-school song: "I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart. Where? Down in my heart. Where? Down in my heart...."  And then I explained to Dimitri that that song is particularly fun to sing if you are Cambodian (which he is) because in Khmer (Cambodian language) joy means the f-word.  ha ha.

 So we get there.  It's getting quite dark quite fast.  I've got zip lock baggies and I'm collecting jalapenos in bags of five.  I get 25 or 30 bags of them so that was a great success.  Then some cherry and sungold tomatos in the cute little pint containers I buy at the restaurant supply store for $.25.  I was supposed to pick up a dozen full sized tomatoes too, for the drop, but I accidentally left them at the farm.  It was for the best though because they were not of the quality that I would want to (figuratively) put my name on. 

 So, as I said, the kids were miserable.  Saphira cried some and made me hold her a lot- which is perfectly understandable given that the weeds are up to her shoulders (embarrassed blush).  Dimitri kept trying to steal my keys because he wanted to turn on the car and practice driving!  He got them on two occasions and I had to chase him once and I hit him the second time, which completely goes against my discipline views, so I spent the next half hour debating, in my head, as to whether spanking/hitting is ever appropriate in discipline and if I crossed a line, or is it necessary in the same way that you may need to slap a baby's hand when they try to touch something hot.  (Of course, in that situation, you would always remove the temptation.  But in some hypothetical situation in which you could not remove the source of heat.  Say, you live in a cabin and cook on a fire and have no fencing.)

I finished harvesting the crops.  I drove to the drop off point.  At this point it is pitch black outside.  Thankfully there were other farmers there making drops so it didn't seem so eerie.  Dimitri, at one point dropped a pint of tomatoes.  I thought they all had fallen (thankfully only some did).  I wanted to cry.  But I remained calm.  I got to show the kids the walk in refrigerator, which is pretty cool.  It's inside a small feeder truck.  If you could see it, you would die.  It's loaded with fresh organic fruits and vegetables from local farms.  It smells so good.  There are crates and crates of peaches and cantaloupe.  You can almost taste them. 

I left the tomatoes in the outside drop off point because it's not good to refrigerate or wash those. 

And with that, we were off, to hit the hay and start a new day tomorrow.  Hopefully a better one. 

2 comments:

  1. You try SO HARD. Your kids love you, and when they get older they will love you for what you did for them back then.

    Maybe you could have 12 kids under the age of 11, and 4 or 5 older ones, and THEN go work in the garden. Wouldn't THAT be sweet? Some folks do that sort of thing. The children would all say, Mommy please sit down, we will weed and harvest FOR YOU.

    Oh, I've got the peace that passes understanding down in the depths of my heart, OH, down in the depths of my heart, OH...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Bruce, you certainly made ME smile! "Mommy, please sit down, we will weed and harvest FOR YOU" .....well, one can always dream!

    ReplyDelete